Archive for July, 2016

AG#61 – Epeautre Saison


Recipe Specifications

Boil Size: 27.90 l
Post Boil Volume: 23.40 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 19.00 l
Bottling Volume: 17.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 9.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 21.7 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 57.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 68.2 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients

4.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins)
2.862 kg Bohemian Pilsner Malt, Weyermann (4.0 EBC), 53.0 %
1.512 kg Spelt Malt (5.0 EBC), 28.0 %
0.486 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC), 9.0 %
0.378 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 5 7.0 %
0.162 kg Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 EBC), 3.0 %
26 g Styrian Goldings [3.80 %] – Boil 60.0 mins, 14.4 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)
30 g East Kent Goldings [5.80 %] – Boil 10.0 Hop 9 5.1 IBUs
30 g Saaz [3.00 %] – Boil 2.0 min Hop 10 2.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg Belgian Saison I Ale (White Labs #WLP565
1.0 pkg Belgian Saison II Yeast (White Labs #WLP566 (400ml slurry from Bon Bon Saison)
Mash Schedule: Bubbles’ Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 5.399 kg
Mash In Add 14.66 l of water at 71.2 C 65.0 C 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 18.98l) of 77.0 C water

16/08/2016 Brew Day – Used 500g oat hulls to prevent a stuck sparge and no no troubles with lautering.

04/08/2016 – Bottled with 169g glucose (18 litres @ 3.2 vol). Got 12 x 750ml and 17 x 500ml bottles from the batch. Looks pretty cloudy. Almost yeasty, but it’s been sitting in the fermenter for ages.

07/10/2016 – This is tasting amazing. I think the OG is the sweet spot for me as far saisons are concerned. Just enough alcohol there, but not overwhelming. Fantastic yeast character, big lemon and pear aroma and flavour. Carbonation level is high but perfect.

22/11/2016 – This really is lovely. No alcohol burn, but big flavour. Tart saison character, but some balancing malt sweetness.

MEAD#7 – Moonlight Sparkling Mead

IMG_3683

Sanitised fermenter and rehydrated a sachet of Lalvin 71B in some of the bottled water. Sanitised the stick blender attachment in the jug of StarSan. Transferred about 3 litres of water to the fermenter and added the honey. I used 2 x 340g organic wildflower honey. On this batch I used 1/4 tsp tannin and 1/2 tsp Youngs yeast nutrient. Topped up to the 6 litre mark. Blended with the sanitised stick blender to heavily aerate the must and pitched the rehydrated yeast.

09/07/2016 – Pitched yeast.

11//07/2016 – Added another 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient and de-gassed.

13/07/2016 – Added the last 1/2 tsp yeast nutrient and de-gassed again.

15/07/2016 – According to the GotMead Calculator, 5.75 litres of must with 0.68kg of honey will yield a starting gravity of 1.035 and a final ABV of 4.9%.

01/08/2016 – I intended to have this in a demi-john and under an airlock at this stage, but it’s still in the primary fermenting bucket. The problem is that I don’t have the spare demi-john that I expected to have as my blackcurrent melomel seems to have started fermenting again since I back sweetened it.

27/08/2016 – A lot longer than intended, this has finally been racked to secondary. It’s very pale, but I picked up a bit of yeast on transfer so it’s quite hazy. I’ll let this settle out for a couple of weeks before bottling with some carbonation drops.

02/09/2016 – Clearing nicely.


Bubbles Brews Beer!

homebrewing & craft beer

Bubbles’ Twitter Feed